Re: removal of dangling temp tables

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: removal of dangling temp tables
Date: 2018-12-14 16:48:45
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Fri, Dec 14, 2018 at 11:29 AM Alvaro Herrera
<alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com> wrote:
> I think the best way to fix this is to call RemoveTempRelations()
> unconditionally at session start (without doing the rest of the temp
> table setup, just the removal.)

That would certainly simplify things. I think I thought about that as
far back as a734fd5d1c309cc553b7c8c79fba96218af090f7 but it seemed
like a significant behavior change and I wasn't sure that everyone
would like it. In particular, it adds overhead to backend startup
that, in the case of a large temp schema, could be fairly long.

Nevertheless, I tentatively think that a change like this is a good
idea. I wouldn't back-patch it, though.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company