Re: [PROPOSAL] VACUUM Progress Checker.

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Amit Langote <Langote_Amit_f8(at)lab(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>
Cc: Pg Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)gmail(dot)com>, Masahiko Sawada <sawada(dot)mshk(at)gmail(dot)com>, Thom Brown <thom(at)linux(dot)com>, pokurev(at)pm(dot)nttdata(dot)co(dot)jp
Subject: Re: [PROPOSAL] VACUUM Progress Checker.
Date: 2015-11-20 20:46:19
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, Nov 19, 2015 at 2:18 AM, Amit Langote
<Langote_Amit_f8(at)lab(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp> wrote:
> As someone pointed out upthread, the final heap truncate phase can take
> arbitrarily long and is outside the scope of lazy_scan_heap() to
> instrument. Perhaps a bool, say, waiting_heap_trunc could be reported for
> the same. Note that, it would have to be reported from lazy_vacuum_rel().

I don't think reporting booleans is a very good idea. It's better to
report that some other way, like use one of the strings to report a
"phase" of processing that we're currently performing.

> IMHO, float progress parameters (st_progress_param_float[]) can be taken
> out. They are currently unused and it's unlikely that some command would
> want to report them.

If they are not used, they shouldn't be included in this patch, but we
should be open to adding them later if it proves useful.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company