Re: PATCH: pgbench - option to build using ppoll() for larger connection counts

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Fabien COELHO <coelho(at)cri(dot)ensmp(dot)fr>
Cc: "Rady, Doug" <radydoug(at)amazon(dot)com>, "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: PATCH: pgbench - option to build using ppoll() for larger connection counts
Date: 2017-11-29 12:58:55
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, Nov 29, 2017 at 3:40 AM, Fabien COELHO <coelho(at)cri(dot)ensmp(dot)fr> wrote:
> ever is best. Not sure that "pfds" is the right name. If the two variables
> means the same thing, they should have the same name, although possibly
> different types.

Although I agree with a good bit of what you say here, I don't agree
with that. If the member used by ppoll() (or just poll()) has a
different name than the one used for select(), it's much easier to,
say, grep for everyplace where the field you care about is used. If
you use the same name for different things, that doesn't work.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company