Re: PG in container w/ pid namespace is init, process exits cause restart

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org>, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: PG in container w/ pid namespace is init, process exits cause restart
Date: 2021-05-04 18:55:46
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, May 4, 2021 at 2:26 PM Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
> You are arguing from assumptions not in evidence, specifically that
> if we reap a PID that isn't one we recognize, this must be what
> happened. I think it's *at least* as likely that the case implies
> some bug in the postmaster's child-process bookkeeping, ...

It's hard to rule that out completely, but it doesn't seem incredibly
likely to me. I would think that if we had such bugs they would result
in system instability that is also not in evidence.

> Independently of that, as was pointed out upthread, being init requires
> more than just ignoring unrecognized results from waitpid. We shouldn't
> take on that responsibility when there are perfectly good solutions out
> there already.

That's a separate point that should be judged on its own merits. I
don't have an educated opinion on how hard it would be, or how
valuable it would be.

--
Robert Haas
EDB: http://www.enterprisedb.com