Re: A typo in syncrep.c

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Kyotaro HORIGUCHI <horiguchi(dot)kyotaro(at)lab(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>
Cc: "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: A typo in syncrep.c
Date: 2015-12-22 15:37:15
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, Dec 22, 2015 at 3:18 AM, Kyotaro HORIGUCHI
<horiguchi(dot)kyotaro(at)lab(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp> wrote:
> Thank you Robert and sorry for bothering you with a silly question!
>
> I understand what I did clearly thanks to your attentive indication.
>
> At Mon, 21 Dec 2015 07:50:40 -0500, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote in <CA+TgmoY_mW8wg1DoT61yE71UwnWmYMfDX=oAD+4yYgPSQEUDHQ(at)mail(dot)gmail(dot)com>
>> >
>> > Hmm. I thought they are equal in meaning and make clearer, but I
>> > understand they have such difference. Thank you for correcting
>> > it.
>>
>> The difference is that if you say "the transaction aborted" you mean
>> that the transaction did something - specifically, it aborted. If you
>> say that "the transaction is aborted" you are talking about the state
>> in which the transaction ended up, without really saying how it got
>> that way.
>
> What I made here was a mistake of the word class of the
> "transaction" by somehow omitting the "that" in the original
> sentense. It is not the objective case as in the case where the
> "that" is omitted, but the subjective case there. Then the
> "aborted" is not the objective complement but the past tense. The
> "that" had been returned in my mind before I knew it but, after
> all, adding "is" there utterly changes the maning as you pointed
> out.

Actually, you might be surprised to hear that you can omit the word
"that" here without changing the meaning. I tend to avoid that in
formal writing for clarity but the word isn't technically necessary.

>> In this case we are talking about whether the client might
>> think that the transaction did something (aborted), not what the
>> client might think about the state we ended up in (aborted), so the
>> current wording seems better to me.
>
> I understand that you're completely right. Sorry for my silly
> mistake.

It's not a silly mistake. And I do appreciate you taking the time to proofread.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company