Re: parallelize queries containing initplans

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Haribabu Kommi <kommi(dot)haribabu(at)gmail(dot)com>, Kuntal Ghosh <kuntalghosh(dot)2007(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: parallelize queries containing initplans
Date: 2017-10-30 04:37:48
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Mon, Oct 30, 2017 at 9:00 AM, Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> Now that the PARAM_EXTERN issue is fixed, I have rebased this patch.
> This patch had been switched to Ready For Committer in last CF, then
> Robert had comments which I have addressed, so I think the status
> should be switched back to Ready For committer. Let me know if you
> think it should be switched to some other status.

The change to ExplainPrintPlan doesn't look good to me, because it
actually moves the initPlan; I don't think it's good for EXPLAIN to
mutate the plan state tree. It should find a way to display the
results *as if* the initPlans were attached to the subnode, but
without actually moving them.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company