Re: documentation update for doc/src/sgml/func.sgml

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Fabien COELHO <coelho(at)cri(dot)ensmp(dot)fr>
Subject: Re: documentation update for doc/src/sgml/func.sgml
Date: 2015-02-02 13:42:51
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, Jan 20, 2015 at 4:01 AM, Fabien COELHO <coelho(at)cri(dot)ensmp(dot)fr> wrote:
>> I had a look at this patch. This patch adds some text below a table
>> of functions. Immediately above that table, there is this existing
>> language:
>>
>> The functions working with <type>double precision</type> data are mostly
>> implemented on top of the host system's C library; accuracy and behavior
>> in
>> boundary cases can therefore vary depending on the host system.
>>
>> This seems to me to substantially duplicate the information added by the
>> patch.
>
> I would rather say that it explicites the potential issues. Taking that into
> account, maybe the part about floating point could be moved up after the
> above sentence, or the above sentence moved down as an introduction, with
> some pruning so that it fits in?

Possibly. If anyone still cares about this patch, then they should
try revising it along those lines and submit an updated version. If
no one is excited enough about this to do that, we should just flag
this as rejected and move on. Since this patch has been kicking
around since August, my reading is nobody's very excited about it, but
maybe I'm misinterpreting the situation.

> The second paragraph about bitwise ops is not related to these.

Yeah, I'm not quite sure how that got in here; I don't see discussion
of it upthread. It looks like it ought to be a completely separate
patch with its own discussion, FWICS.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company