Re: Removing GlobalVisTestNonRemovableHorizon

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>, Heikki Linnakangas <hlinnaka(at)iki(dot)fi>
Subject: Re: Removing GlobalVisTestNonRemovableHorizon
Date: 2024-04-15 19:13:51
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Mon, Apr 15, 2024 at 2:57 PM Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de> wrote:
> GlobalVisTestNonRemovableHorizon()/GlobalVisTestNonRemovableFullHorizon() only
> existed for snapshot_too_old - but that was removed in f691f5b80a8. I'm
> inclined to think we should remove those functions for 17. No new code should
> use them.

+1 for removing whatever people shouldn't be using. I recently spent a
lot of time looking at this code and it's quite complicated and hard
to understand. It would of course have been nice to have done this
sooner, but I don't think waiting for next release cycle will make
anything better.

--
Robert Haas
EDB: http://www.enterprisedb.com