Re: Can PQstatus() be used by Application to check connection to postgres periodically?

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Pavel Golub <pavel(at)gf(dot)microolap(dot)com>
Cc: sujayr06 <sujayr06(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Can PQstatus() be used by Application to check connection to postgres periodically?
Date: 2012-02-08 13:17:43
Lists: pgsql-hackers

2012/2/8 Pavel Golub <pavel(at)microolap(dot)com>:
> Hello, sujayr06.
>
> You wrote:
>
> s> Hello All,
>
> s>            My application has to do a real time data upload to PostgreSQL
> s> server.
>
> s>            Every time i have to do a real time upload, i do not wish to open
> s> new connection.
> s>            I want to open a connection once [when my application comes up]
> s> and periodically check if the connection is active.
> s>            Can PQstatus() be used by application to check the status of the
> s> connection already established?
>
> s>            If PQstatus() cannot be used, does PostgreSQL provide alternate
> s> interface to check the status of the                     connection.
>
> s>           Note : I do not wish to open connection on every real time upload
> s> as its an overhead for the application.
>
> s>            Appreciate any help!
>
> You may use PQtransactionStatus for this purpose
> (http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.1/static/libpq-status.html)

Only if you don't care about getting the right answer. Neither
PQstatus() nor PQtransactionStatus() make any attempt to determine
whether the server is still there; they just return the cached status
of the connection, without any system calls whatsoever.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company