Re: Custom/Foreign-Join-APIs (Re: [v9.5] Custom Plan API)

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Kohei KaiGai <kaigai(at)kaigai(dot)gr(dot)jp>, Kouhei Kaigai <kaigai(at)ak(dot)jp(dot)nec(dot)com>, Thom Brown <thom(at)linux(dot)com>, Shigeru Hanada <shigeru(dot)hanada(at)gmail(dot)com>, "pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Custom/Foreign-Join-APIs (Re: [v9.5] Custom Plan API)
Date: 2015-05-11 01:53:45
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Sun, May 10, 2015 at 9:34 PM, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
>> Your unwillingness to make functions global or to stick PGDLLIMPORT
>> markings on variables that people want access to is hugely
>> handicapping extension authors. Many people have complained about
>> that on multiple occasions. Frankly, I find it obstructionist and
>> petty.
>
> Sure, we could export every last static function in the core code,
> and extension authors would rejoice ... while development on the core
> code basically stops for fear of breaking extensions. It's important
> not to export things that we don't have to, especially when doing so
> is really just a quick-n-dirty substitute for doing things properly.

Please name EVEN ONE instance in which core development has been
prevented for fear of changing a function API. Sure, we take those
things into consideration, like trying to ensure that there will be
type conflicts until people update their code, but I cannot recall a
single instance in six and a half years of working on this project
where that's been a real problem. I think this concern is entirely
hypothetical. Besides, no one has ever proposed making every static
function public. It's been proposed a handful of times for limited
classes of functions - in this case ONE - and you've fought it every
time despite clear consensus on the other side. I find that highly
regrettable and I'm very sure I'm not the only one.

I notice that you carefully didn't answer the other part of my
question: what gives you the right to revert my commits without
discussion or consensus, and do I have an equal right to change it
back?

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company