Re: cannot move relocatable extension out of pg_catalog schema

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: cannot move relocatable extension out of pg_catalog schema
Date: 2013-02-04 01:16:54
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Fri, Feb 1, 2013 at 5:13 PM, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net> wrote:
>> I wonder whether it'd not be a better idea to forbid specifying
>> pg_catalog as the target schema for relocatable extensions.
>
> But that would be important, I think.

I understand the temptation to forbid pg_catalog as the target schema
for relocatable extensions, or indeed for object creation in general.
The fact that you can't, for example, go back and drop the objects
later is a real downer. On the other hand, from a user perspective,
it's really tempting to want to create certain extensions (adminpack,
for example) in such a way that they appear to be "part of the system"
rather than something that lives in a user schema. Had we some other
solution to that problem (a second schema that behaves like pg_catalog
but is empty by default and allows drops?) we might alleviate the need
to put stuff in pg_catalog per se.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company