Re: Patch to allow users to kill their own queries

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Greg Smith <greg(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Josh Kupershmidt <schmiddy(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Patch to allow users to kill their own queries
Date: 2011-12-16 13:42:56
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Fri, Dec 16, 2011 at 1:21 AM, Greg Smith <greg(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com> wrote:
> This is a problem with the existing code though, and the proposed changes
> don't materially alter that; there's just another quick check in one path
> through.  Right now we check if someone is superuser, then if it's a backend
> PID, then we send the signal.  If you assume someone can run through all the
> PIDs between those checks and the kill, the system is already broken that
> way.

From a theoretical point of view, I believe it to be slightly
different. If a superuser sends a kill, they will certainly be
authorized to kill whatever they end up killing, because they are
authorized to kill anything. On the other hand, the proposed patch
would potentially result - in the extremely unlikely event of a
super-fast PID wraparound - in someone cancelling a query they
otherwise wouldn't have been able to cancel.

In practice, the chances of this seem fairly remote.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company