Re: Close stdout and stderr in syslogger

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Святослав Ермилин <munakoiso(at)yandex-team(dot)ru>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Дмитрий Сарафанников <dsarafan(at)yandex-team(dot)ru>, Андрей Бородин <x4mmm(at)yandex-team(dot)ru>, "pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>, "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Close stdout and stderr in syslogger
Date: 2019-10-04 13:23:26
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, Oct 3, 2019 at 8:30 AM Святослав Ермилин
<munakoiso(at)yandex-team(dot)ru> wrote:
> There is another way to solve this problem:
> We can give users the opportunity to leave or close descriptors.
> I.e. config switch for this. But I think that it's too complicated.

The typical solution to this problem is to send the stdout/stderr to a
logfile that isn't rotated because it never gets very large, and
subsequent output to the real logfile. Seems like that would be the
low-stress way to go here, rather than trying to change the code.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company