Re: pgbench stats per script & other stuff

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Fabien COELHO <coelho(at)cri(dot)ensmp(dot)fr>
Cc: PostgreSQL Developers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pgbench stats per script & other stuff
Date: 2015-07-21 16:19:23
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, Jul 21, 2015 at 10:42 AM, Fabien COELHO <coelho(at)cri(dot)ensmp(dot)fr> wrote:
>>> sh> ./pgbench -T 3 -B -N -w 2 -S -w 7 --per-script-stats
>>
>> That is a truly horrifying abuse of command-line arguments. -1 from
>> me, or minus more than one if I've got that many chits to burn.
>
> Are you against the -w, or against saying that pgbench execute scripts,
> whether internal or from files?

I'm against the idea that we accept multiple arguments for scripts,
and that a subsequent -w modifies the meaning of the
script-specifiying argument already read. That strikes me as a very
unintuitive interface. I'm not sure exactly what would be better at
the moment, but I think we need something better.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company