Re: ATTACH/DETACH PARTITION CONCURRENTLY

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: ATTACH/DETACH PARTITION CONCURRENTLY
Date: 2018-11-06 18:56:37
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, Nov 6, 2018 at 1:54 PM Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com> wrote:
> Error in the COPY or in the DDL? COPY preferred. Somebody with insert rights shouldn't be able to prevent a table-owner level action. People normally drop partitions to save space, so it could be annoying if that was interrupted.

Yeah, the COPY.

> Supporting parallel query shouldn't make other cases more difficult from a behavioral perspective just to avoid the ERROR. The ERROR sounds annoying, but not sure how annoying avoiding it would be.

In my view, it's not just a question of it being annoying, but of
whether anything else is even sensible. I mean, you can avoid an
error when a user types SELECT 1/0 by returning NULL or 42, but that's
not usually how we roll around here.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company