Re: orangutan seizes up during isolation-check

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Noah Misch <noah(at)leadboat(dot)com>
Cc: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, davec(at)postgresintl(dot)com, Heikki Linnakangas <hlinnakangas(at)vmware(dot)com>
Subject: Re: orangutan seizes up during isolation-check
Date: 2014-12-31 05:32:37
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Sun, Dec 28, 2014 at 4:58 PM, Noah Misch <noah(at)leadboat(dot)com> wrote:
> I wondered whether to downgrade FATAL to LOG in back branches. Introducing a
> new reason to block startup is disruptive for a minor release, but having the
> postmaster deadlock at an unpredictable later time is even more disruptive. I
> am inclined to halt startup that way in all branches.

Jeepers. I'd rather not do that. From your report, this problem has
been around for years. Yet, as far as I know, it's bothering very few
real users, some of whom might be far more bothered by the postmaster
suddenly failing to start. I'm fine with a FATAL in master, but I'd
vote against doing anything that might prevent startup in the
back-branches without more compelling justification.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company