Re: pgstat documentation tables

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
Cc: Greg Smith <greg(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: pgstat documentation tables
Date: 2012-02-27 16:38:17
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Mon, Feb 27, 2012 at 11:32 AM, Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net> wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 27, 2012 at 14:36, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
>> On Mon, Feb 27, 2012 at 5:22 AM, Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net> wrote:
>>> The problem with a separate column is that it makes the table very
>>> wide (some of those functions have very long name).
>>
>> Yeah, that's one thing I don't like about what you actually did,
>> either - it made some of the tables much wider.
>
> Uh, can you give me an example of one? While they will all become
> wider if you actually need to, I don't see any of those tables as wide
> enough to cause any trouble that automatic linebreaks don't fix?

It's not so much that they become wide enough to line-wrap; it's just
that it's harder to read. For example, table 27-5,
pg_stat_database_conflicts view, is now about twice the width that it
was before, and the additional sentence is mostly junk, because 95% of
people reading this won't care a whit. Plus, for those who do care,
the phrasing of the sentence (this value can also be returned
directly...) isn't really altogether clear, at least IMHO.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company