Re: UPDATE of partition key

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Amit Khandekar <amitdkhan(dot)pg(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Dilip Kumar <dilipbalaut(at)gmail(dot)com>, Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com>, Amit Langote <Langote_Amit_f8(at)lab(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>, Etsuro Fujita <fujita(dot)etsuro(at)lab(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: UPDATE of partition key
Date: 2017-09-29 19:53:02
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Fri, Sep 22, 2017 at 1:57 AM, Amit Khandekar <amitdkhan(dot)pg(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> The patch for the above change is :
> 0002-Prevent-a-redundant-ConvertRowtypeExpr-node.patch

Thinking about this a little more, I'm wondering about how this case
arises. I think that for this patch to avoid multiple conversions,
we'd have to be calling map_variable_attnos on an expression and then
calling map_variable_attnos on that expression again.

>>> If I understand correctly, the reason for changing mt_partitions from
>>> ResultRelInfo * to ResultRelInfo ** is that, currently, all of the
>>> ResultRelInfos for a partitioning hierarchy are allocated as a single
>>> chunk, but we can't do that and also reuse the ResultRelInfos created
>>> during InitPlan. I suggest that we do this as a preparatory patch.
>>
>> Ok, will prepare a separate patch. Do you mean to include in that
>> patch the changes I did in ExecSetupPartitionTupleRouting() that
>> re-use the ResultRelInfo structures of per-subplan update result rels
>> ?
>
> Above changes are in attached
> 0001-Re-use-UPDATE-result-rels-created-in-InitPlan.patch.

No, not all of those changes. Just the adjustments to make
ModifyTableState's mt_partitions be of type ResultRelInfo ** rather
than ResultRelInfo *, and anything closely related to that. Not, for
example, the num_update_rri stuff.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company