Re: [HACKERS] Parallel Hash take II

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
Cc: Thomas Munro <thomas(dot)munro(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Rushabh Lathia <rushabh(dot)lathia(at)gmail(dot)com>, Prabhat Sahu <prabhat(dot)sahu(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Peter Geoghegan <pg(at)bowt(dot)ie>, Pg Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Rafia Sabih <rafia(dot)sabih(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Ashutosh Bapat <ashutosh(dot)bapat(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Haribabu Kommi <kommi(dot)haribabu(at)gmail(dot)com>, Oleg Golovanov <rentech(at)mail(dot)ru>
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Parallel Hash take II
Date: 2017-11-15 13:37:11
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, Nov 14, 2017 at 4:24 PM, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de> wrote:
>> I agree, and I am interested in that subject. In the meantime, I
>> think it'd be pretty unfair if parallel-oblivious hash join and
>> sort-merge join and every other parallel plan get to use work_mem * p
>> (and in some cases waste it with duplicate data), but Parallel Hash
>> isn't allowed to do the same (and put it to good use).
>
> I'm not sure I care about fairness between pieces of code ;)

I realize you're sort of joking here, but I think it's necessary to
care about fairness between pieces of code.

I mean, the very first version of this patch that Thomas submitted was
benchmarked by Rafia and had phenomenally good performance
characteristics. That turned out to be because it wasn't respecting
work_mem; you can often do a lot better with more memory, and
generally you can't do nearly as well with less. To make comparisons
meaningful, they have to be comparisons between algorithms that use
the same amount of memory. And it's not just about testing. If we
add an algorithm that will run twice as fast with equal memory but
only allow it half as much, it will probably never get picked and the
whole patch is a waste of time.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company