Re: Report checkpoint progress with pg_stat_progress_checkpoint (was: Report checkpoint progress in server logs)

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
Cc: Melanie Plageman <melanieplageman(at)gmail(dot)com>, Bharath Rupireddy <bharath(dot)rupireddyforpostgres(at)gmail(dot)com>, "Drouvot, Bertrand" <bertranddrouvot(dot)pg(at)gmail(dot)com>, Nitin Jadhav <nitinjadhavpostgres(at)gmail(dot)com>, Matthias van de Meent <boekewurm+postgres(at)gmail(dot)com>, Ashutosh Sharma <ashu(dot)coek88(at)gmail(dot)com>, Julien Rouhaud <rjuju123(at)gmail(dot)com>, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Report checkpoint progress with pg_stat_progress_checkpoint (was: Report checkpoint progress in server logs)
Date: 2022-11-17 14:03:32
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, Nov 16, 2022 at 2:52 PM Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de> wrote:
> I don't think we'd want every buffer write or whatnot go through the
> changecount mechanism, on some non-x86 platforms that could be noticable. But
> if we didn't stage the stats updates locally I think we could make most of the
> stats changes without that overhead. For updates that just increment a single
> counter there's simply no benefit in the changecount mechanism afaict.

You might be right, but I'm not sure whether it's worth stressing
about. The progress reporting mechanism uses the st_changecount
mechanism, too, and as far as I know nobody's complained about that
having too much overhead. Maybe they have, though, and I've just
missed it.

--
Robert Haas
EDB: http://www.enterprisedb.com