Re: dsa_allocate() faliure

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Thomas Munro <thomas(dot)munro(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: Jakub Glapa <jakub(dot)glapa(at)gmail(dot)com>, Justin Pryzby <pryzby(at)telsasoft(dot)com>, Fabio Isabettini <fisabettini(at)voipfuture(dot)com>, Arne Roland <A(dot)Roland(at)index(dot)de>, Sand Stone <sand(dot)m(dot)stone(at)gmail(dot)com>, Rick Otten <rottenwindfish(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: dsa_allocate() faliure
Date: 2019-02-10 06:26:14
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-performance

On Sun, Feb 10, 2019 at 1:55 AM Thomas Munro
<thomas(dot)munro(at)enterprisedb(dot)com> wrote:
> Bleugh. Yeah. What I said before wasn't quite right. The value
> returned by FreePageManagerPutInternal() is actually correct at the
> moment it is returned, but it ceases to be correct immediately
> afterwards if the following call to FreePageBtreeCleanup() happens to
> reduce the size of that particular span. The problem is that we
> clobber fpm->contiguous_pages with the earlier (and by now incorrect)
> value that we were holding in a local variable.

Yeah, I had similar bugs to that during the initial development work I
did on freepage.c, and that's why I got rid of some lazy recomputation
thing that I had tried at some point. The version that got committed
brought that back again, but possibly it's got the same kind of
problem.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company