Re: [HACKERS] Custom compression methods

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Tomas Vondra <tomas(dot)vondra(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Ildus Kurbangaliev <i(dot)kurbangaliev(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>, "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Ildar Musin <i(dot)musin(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Custom compression methods
Date: 2017-12-01 19:20:43
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Fri, Dec 1, 2017 at 10:18 AM, Tomas Vondra
<tomas(dot)vondra(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com> wrote:
> It has very little impact on this patch, as it has nothing to do with
> columnar storage. That is, each value is compressed independently.

I understand that this patch is not about columnar storage, but I
think the idea that we may want to operate on the compressed data
directly is not only applicable to that case.

> I agree with these thoughts in general, but I'm not quite sure what is
> your conclusion regarding the patch.

I have not reached one. Sometimes I like to discuss problems before
deciding what I think. :-)

It does seem to me that the patch may be aiming at a relatively narrow
target in a fairly large problem space, but I don't know whether to
label that as short-sightedness or prudent incrementalism.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company