Re: ATTACH/DETACH PARTITION CONCURRENTLY

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: ATTACH/DETACH PARTITION CONCURRENTLY
Date: 2018-11-06 19:05:57
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, Nov 6, 2018 at 2:01 PM Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com> wrote:
> If you can remove the ERROR without any other adverse effects, that sounds great.
>
> Please let us know what, if any, adverse effects would be caused so we can discuss. Thanks

Well, I've already written about this in two previous emails on this
thread, so I'm not sure exactly what you think is missing. But to
state the problem again:

If you don't throw an error when a partition is concurrently detached
and then someone routes a tuple to that portion of the key space, what
DO you do? Continue inserting tuples into the table even though it's
no longer a partition? Throw tuples destined for that partition away?
You can make an argument for both of those behaviors, but they're
both pretty strange. The first one means that for an arbitrarily long
period of time after detaching a partition, the partition may continue
to receive inserts that were destined for its former parent. The
second one means that your data can disappear into the ether. I don't
like either of those things.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company