Re: Removing more vacuumlazy.c special cases, relfrozenxid optimizations

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Greg Stark <stark(at)mit(dot)edu>
Cc: Peter Geoghegan <pg(at)bowt(dot)ie>, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>, Masahiko Sawada <sawada(dot)mshk(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Removing more vacuumlazy.c special cases, relfrozenxid optimizations
Date: 2022-02-07 14:53:13
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Fri, Feb 4, 2022 at 10:21 PM Greg Stark <stark(at)mit(dot)edu> wrote:
> By far the majority of anti-wraparound vacuums are triggered by tables
> that are very large and so don't trigger regular vacuums for "long
> periods" of time and consistently hit the anti-wraparound threshold
> first.

That's interesting, because my experience is different. Most of the
time when I get asked to look at a system, it turns out that there is
a prepared transaction or a forgotten replication slot and nobody
noticed until the system hit the wraparound threshold. Or occasionally
a long-running transaction or a failing/stuck vacuum that has the same
effect.

--
Robert Haas
EDB: http://www.enterprisedb.com