Re: Patch to implement pg_current_logfile() function

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Gilles Darold <gilles(dot)darold(at)dalibo(dot)com>
Cc: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Michael Paquier <michael(dot)paquier(at)gmail(dot)com>, "Karl O(dot) Pinc" <kop(at)meme(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Patch to implement pg_current_logfile() function
Date: 2017-03-03 06:18:43
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Mon, Feb 20, 2017 at 4:37 AM, Gilles Darold <gilles(dot)darold(at)dalibo(dot)com> wrote:
>> I think it's sufficient to just remove the file once on postmaster
>> startup before trying to launch the syslogger for the first time.
>> logging_collector is PGC_POSTMASTER, so if it's not turned on when the
>> cluster first starts, it can't be activated later. If it dies, that
>> doesn't seem like a reason to remove the file. We're going to restart
>> the syslogger, and when we do, it can update the file.
>>

> I've attached a new full v30 patch that include last patch from Karl.
> Now the current_logfile file is removed only at postmaster startup, just
> before launching the syslogger for the first time.

Committed with some changes.

- Added missing REVOKE for pg_current_logfile(text).
- Added error checks for unlink() and logfile_open().
- Changed error messages to use standard wording (among other reasons,
this helps minimize translation work).
- Removed update_metainfo_datafile() call that ran in the postmaster
and added a similar call that runs in the syslogger.
- doc: Removed an index entry that had no existing parallel.

Hopefully I haven't broken anything; please let me know if you
encounter any issues.

Thanks,

--
Robert Haas