Re: role self-revocation

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, "David G(dot) Johnston" <david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com>, Joshua Brindle <joshua(dot)brindle(at)crunchydata(dot)com>, Mark Dilger <mark(dot)dilger(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: role self-revocation
Date: 2022-03-11 15:41:17
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Fri, Mar 11, 2022 at 10:27 AM Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net> wrote:
> I agree that there would be a recorded relationship (that is, one that
> we write into the catalog and keep around until and unless it's removed
> by an admin) between creating and created roles and that's probably the
> default when CREATE ROLE is run but, unlike tables or such objects in
> the system, I don't agree that we should require this to exist at
> absolutely all times for every role (what would it be for the bootstrap
> superuser..?). At least today, that's distinct from how ownership in
> the system works. I also don't believe that this is necessarily an
> issue for Robert's use-case, as long as there are appropriate
> restrictions around who is allowed to remove or modify these
> relationships.

I agree.

> > I agree. [ but we need to get consensus ]
>
> Well ... [ how about we do it my way? ]

Repeating the same argument over again isn't necessarily going to help
anything here. I read your argument and I can believe there could be a
solution along those lines, although you haven't addressed my concern
about NOINHERIT. Tom is apparently less convinced, and you know, I
think that's OK. Not everybody has to agree with the way you want to
do it.

--
Robert Haas
EDB: http://www.enterprisedb.com