Re: Refactoring of compression options in pg_basebackup

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "David G(dot) Johnston" <david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org>, Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>, Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>, Georgios Kokolatos <gkokolatos(at)pm(dot)me>, Postgres hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>, Jeevan Ladhe <jeevan(dot)ladhe(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Refactoring of compression options in pg_basebackup
Date: 2022-01-17 17:48:12
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Mon, Jan 17, 2022 at 11:50 AM David G. Johnston
<david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
>> I think having a single option where you specify everything is simpler.
>> I propose we accept these forms:
>>
>> --compress=[{server,client}-]method[:level] new in 15
>> --compress=level (accepted by 14)
>> -Z level (accepted by 14)
>> -z (accepted by 14)
>
> I am also in favor of this option. Whether this is better than deprecating --compress and introducing --compression I am having trouble deciding. My personal preference is to add --compression and leave --compress alone and deprecated; but we don't usually do anything with deprecations and having users seeing both --compress and --compression out in the wild, even if never at the same time, is bound to elicit questions (though so is seeing --compress with "number only" rules and "composite value" rules...)

Alvaro's proposal is fine with me. I don't see any value in replacing
--compress with --compression. It's longer but not superior in any way
that I can see. Having both seems worst of all -- that's just
confusing.

> I'm not too keen on making a default method in code. Saying "if in doubt gzip is a widely used compression method." in the documentation seems sufficient.

Yeah, I agree that a default method doesn't seem necessary. People who
want to compress without thinking hard can use -z; others can say what
they want.

--
Robert Haas
EDB: http://www.enterprisedb.com