Re: In reference to gsoc

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Tanvi Dadu <tanvidadu1998(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: In reference to gsoc
Date: 2018-03-01 20:29:22
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, Mar 1, 2018 at 7:50 AM, Tanvi Dadu <tanvidadu1998(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> It would be helpful if someone direct me to the repo I will be working and
> sorting techniques used. Please give me a brief about the data structures
> used and also the starting point for getting familiar repository and work
> that needs to be done in this project.

You're probably not going to have a ton of luck working the PostgreSQL
community unless you can figure out things like this without help from
other people. Most people here are quite busy and don't have time to
help you figure out things that you should be able to figure out
yourself with 10 minutes and a search engine, and the location of the
source code is one of those things.

But see:

https://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/static/sourcerepo.html
https://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/static/git.html

I would start by reading the code and comments in
src/backend/utils/sort/tuplesort.c

See also https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Development_information

I don't really know what work needs to be done in terms of sorting at
this point. Quite a few improvements have been made over the last few
years and I'm not sure exactly what could profitably be done next.
Andres Freund mentioned to me yesterday that there might be some work
around sorting + JIT once he gets the basic JIT stuff committed; and
it would certainly be cool to be able to use the parallel sort stuff
we added in commit 9da0cc35284bdbe8d442d732963303ff0e0a40bc for
parallel query as well as for parallel index builds. However, I don't
have an exact description of what work might need to be done there in
either case, and neither constitutes an improvement to the sorting
code per se.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company