Re: Proposal: Local indexes for partitioned table

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Maksim Milyutin <m(dot)milyutin(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>
Cc: Pg Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Proposal: Local indexes for partitioned table
Date: 2017-04-10 11:20:49
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, Apr 4, 2017 at 12:10 PM, Maksim Milyutin
<m(dot)milyutin(at)postgrespro(dot)ru> wrote:
> 1. I have added a new relkind for local indexes named RELKIND_LOCAL_INDEX
> (literal 'l').

Seems like it should maybe be RELKIND_PARTITIONED_INDEX. There's
nothing particularly "local" about it. I suppose what you're going
for is that it's not global, but in a way it *is* global to the
partitioning hierarchy. That's the point. It's just that it's
partitioned.

> Perhaps, it's not good way to use pg_depend to determine the relationship
> between parent and child indexes because the kind of this relationship is
> not defined. I could propose to add into pg_index table specific field of
> 'oidvector' type that specify oids of dependent indexes for the current
> local index.

I agree with Greg's comment on this point.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company