Re: O(n) tasks cause lengthy startups and checkpoints

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
Cc: Simon Riggs <simon(dot)riggs(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Nathan Bossart <nathandbossart(at)gmail(dot)com>, "Bossart, Nathan" <bossartn(at)amazon(dot)com>, Bharath Rupireddy <bharath(dot)rupireddyforpostgres(at)gmail(dot)com>, Maxim Orlov <orlovmg(at)gmail(dot)com>, Amul Sul <sulamul(at)gmail(dot)com>, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: O(n) tasks cause lengthy startups and checkpoints
Date: 2022-11-28 18:37:01
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Mon, Nov 28, 2022 at 1:31 PM Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de> wrote:

> > > I can create a separate patch for this, but I don't think I've ever seen
> > > this sort of thing before.
> >
> > Much of recovery is coded that way, for the same reason.
>
> I think that's not a good thing to copy without a lot more justification than
> "some old code also does it that way". It's sometimes justified, but also
> makes code harder to read (one doesn't know what it does without looking up
> the #define, line length).

Yeah. If people need some of the log messages at a higher level during
development, they can patch their own copies.

I think there might be some argument for having a facility that lets
you pick subsystems or even individual messages that you want to trace
and pump up the log level for just those call sites. But I don't know
exactly what that would look like, and I don't think inventing one-off
mechanisms for particular cases is a good idea.

--
Robert Haas
EDB: http://www.enterprisedb.com