Re: Declarative partitioning - another take

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Amit Langote <Langote_Amit_f8(at)lab(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>
Cc: Amit Langote <amitlangote09(at)gmail(dot)com>, Rajkumar Raghuwanshi <rajkumar(dot)raghuwanshi(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Ashutosh Bapat <ashutosh(dot)bapat(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Pg Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Declarative partitioning - another take
Date: 2016-11-10 19:04:30
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, Nov 10, 2016 at 7:40 AM, Amit Langote
<Langote_Amit_f8(at)lab(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp> wrote:
>> I think "partitioning key" is a bit awkward and actually prefer
>> "partiton key". But "partition method" sounds funny so I would go
>> with "partitioning method".
>
> OK, "partition key" and "partitioning method" it is then. Source code
> comments, error messages, variables call the latter (partitioning)
> "strategy" though which hopefully is fine.

Oh, I like "partitioning strategy". Can we standardize on that?

>>> Related to range partitioning, should we finalize on inclusive START/FROM
>>> and exclusive END/TO preventing explicit specification of the inclusivity?
>>
>> I would be in favor of committing the initial patch set without that,
>> and then considering the possibility of adding it later. If we
>> include it in the initial patch set we are stuck with it.
>
> OK, I have removed the syntactic ability to specify INCLUSIVE/EXCLUSIVE
> with each of the range bounds.
>
> I haven't changed any code (such as comparison functions) that manipulates
> instances of PartitionRangeBound which has a flag called inclusive. I
> didn't remove the flag, but is instead just set to (is_lower ? true :
> false) when initializing from the parse node. Perhaps, there is some scope
> for further simplifying that code, which you probably alluded to when you
> proposed that we do this.

Yes, you need to rip out all of the logic that supports it. Having
the logic to support it but not the syntax is bad because then that
code can't be properly tested.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company