Re: IMMUTABLE and PARALLEL SAFE function markings

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Vik Fearing <vik(dot)fearing(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, gajus(at)gajus(dot)com, "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: IMMUTABLE and PARALLEL SAFE function markings
Date: 2018-11-27 03:55:03
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Mon, Nov 26, 2018 at 7:47 PM Vik Fearing <vik(dot)fearing(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com> wrote:
> > I'm way less inclined to buy into the idea that it MUST be wrong, though.
> > Immutability is a promise about result stability and lack of side effects,
> > but it is not a promise about implementation details. There could be an
> > implementation reason not to run something in a parallel worker. Off the
> > top of my head, a possible example is "it's written in plfoo which hasn't
> > yet been made to work correctly in parallel workers".
>
> Now, see, that is an actual argument for making a difference. The other
> arguments in this thread were not, so say I.

I agree with you that Tom is the first person to make a real argument
for distinguishing these two things. And I think his argument is a
good one. I suspect that there are other cases too. I don't think
there are all that many cases, but I think they exist.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company