Re: WIP: Access method extendability

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Alexander Korotkov <aekorotkov(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: WIP: Access method extendability
Date: 2014-10-28 14:53:49
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, Oct 28, 2014 at 10:22 AM, Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com> wrote:
> Or put it another way, it will be easier to write new index AMs
> because we'll be able to skip the WAL part until we know we want it.

I like the feature you are proposing, but I don't think that we should
block Alexander from moving forward with a more-extensible WAL format.
I believe that's a general need even if we get the features you're
proposing, which would reduce the need for it. After all, if somebody
builds an out-of-core index AM, ignoring WAL-logging, and then decides
that it works well enough that they want to add WAL-logging, I think
we should make that possible without requiring them to move the whole
thing in-core.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company