[GSoC] current working status

From: Charles Cui <charles(dot)cui1984(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Aleksander Alekseev <a(dot)alekseev(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>, Aleksandr Parfenov <a(dot)parfenov(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>, Anastasia Lubennikova <a(dot)lubennikova(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>, Andrey Borodin <x4mmm(at)yandex-team(dot)ru>
Cc: PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: [GSoC] current working status
Date: 2018-06-14 03:00:42
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi mentors and hackers,

The first evaluation is coming. Here is my progress so far. During the
first stage of work, I have implemented the thrift binary protocol as the
format of postgresql plugin. Currently, the main interface is byte. Users
who use this plugin need to provide thrift bytes to the plugin, and there
are helpers for each data type to parse out the value contained in the
bytes. This method has been verified by the use of several unit tests.
However, the current interface needs users understand thrift format very
well to use this plugin. After discussing with my mentors, it will be more
useful to implement the concept of "thrift type", which is a custom type
where user provides user understandable format(e.g., json), then the plugin
converts into byte. I am currently busy with implementing this feature and
still need sometime to complete it. If this part is done, I will go ahead
to implement thrift compact protocol. Let me know if you have comments.
You can always track the progress from github (
https://github.com/charles-cui/pg_thrift)

Thanks, Charles!