Re: Tracking last scan time

From: Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>
To: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
Cc: Vik Fearing <vik(at)postgresfriends(dot)org>, Matthias van de Meent <boekewurm+postgres(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Developers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Tracking last scan time
Date: 2022-10-03 11:55:40
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi

On Fri, 30 Sept 2022 at 18:58, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On 2022-09-30 17:58:31 +0200, Vik Fearing wrote:
> > On 9/7/22 12:03, Dave Page wrote:
> > > Here's a v4 patch. This reverts to using
> > > GetCurrentTransactionStopTimestamp() for the last_scan times, and will
> > > set xactStopTimestamp the first time
> GetCurrentTransactionStopTimestamp()
> > > is called, thus avoiding multiple gettimeofday() calls.
> > > SetCurrentTransactionStopTimestamp() is removed, as is use
> > > of xactStopTimestamp (except when resetting it to 0).
> >
> > This patch looks good to me and has much saner behavior than what it
> > replaces.
>
> I agree. However, it seems like a significant enough behavioural change
> that
> I'd rather commit it as a separate patch. I agree with Vik's judgement
> that
> the patch otherwise is otherwise ready. Happy to do that split myself, or
> you
> can do it...

Thanks. It's just the changes in xact.c, so it doesn't seem like it would
cause you any more work either way, in which case, I'll leave it to you :-)

FYI, the OID I chose was simply the closest single value to those used for
the other related functions (e.g. pg_stat_get_numscans). Seemed like a good
way to use up one more random unused value, but I don't care if it gets
changed to the 8000+ range.

--
Dave Page
Blog: https://pgsnake.blogspot.com