Re: Display individual query in pg_stat_activity

From: Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>
To: "Drouvot, Bertrand" <bdrouvot(at)amazon(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, "Schneider (AWS), Jeremy" <schnjere(at)amazon(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Display individual query in pg_stat_activity
Date: 2020-07-27 14:57:10
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi

On Mon, Jul 27, 2020 at 3:40 PM Drouvot, Bertrand <bdrouvot(at)amazon(dot)com>
wrote:

> Hi hackers,
>
> I've attached a patch to display individual query in the pg_stat_activity
> query field when multiple SQL statements are currently displayed.
>
> *Motivation:*
>
> When multiple statements are displayed then we don’t know which one is
> currently running.

I'm not sure I'd want that to happen, as it could make it much harder to
track the activity back to a query in the application layer or server logs.

Perhaps a separate field could be added for the current statement, or a
value to indicate what the current statement number in the query is?

--
Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com

EDB: http://www.enterprisedb.com