Re: Is there really no interest in SQL Standard?

From: Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>
To: Susanne Ebrecht <susanne(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Is there really no interest in SQL Standard?
Date: 2011-09-16 12:33:10
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Fri, Sep 16, 2011 at 7:24 AM, Susanne Ebrecht
<susanne(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com> wrote:

> Since 4 years I am PostgreSQL representative in SQL Standard committee.

With respect, I believe you are on the committee as you were an
employee of MySQL. We've had a number of discussions both online and
at one of the more recent developer meetings, and even approved
funding around having (if I remember correctly) Peter or Simon
represent us on the committee.

> Always, when I suggested to talk about my work in the SQL committee on
> community
> events, a committee rejected it. This just showed me that nobody really has
> interests
> in my work.
>
> I now learned that such a event committee not always is able to estimate
> interests correct.

An event committee is not approving talks because the work is
important to the community - they are approving talks that will be of
interest to the conference audience. In the case of PG Conference
Europe which I suspect you are alluding to there were a significant
number of talks submitted that would be of far more interest and
benefit to our primary audience of end users.

--
Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com

The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company