Re: Remove Windows crash dump support?

From: Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>
To: Craig Ringer <craig(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Alex Ignatov <a(dot)ignatov(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>, Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Remove Windows crash dump support?
Date: 2015-12-24 08:57:19
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, Dec 24, 2015 at 2:14 AM, Craig Ringer <craig(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com> wrote:
> On 22 December 2015 at 23:48, Alex Ignatov <a(dot)ignatov(at)postgrespro(dot)ru> wrote:
>

>> I think that you can debug crash dump since windbg exists.
>

> Nobody in their right mind uses windbg though. Visual Studio is really where
> it's at and the Express versions make it much more practical.
>
> You can't even install Debugging Tools for Windows and Windbg standalone
> anymore.
>

>> Also I think that Postgres on Windows number of instalations is so tiny
>> because people even today think that it is not so solid as unix version
>> thats why you think that nobody use your code ;).
>

> I disagree. Windows Pg users are often at bigger companies and don't talk
> about PostgreSQL as much. Often for fear of reprisals from other database
> vendors they have ongoing relationships with. At least that's been my
> experience and I'm sure EDB folks will concur.

In my experience PG isn't used much in production on Windows in bigger
companies. It's used a *lot* (and is quite probably the most
frequently downloaded build from EDB or postgresql.org) as an embedded
database in some applications, and for development/test. There are a
huge number of Windows PostgreSQL users out there.

--
Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com

The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company