Re: BUG #9531: Failed to install

From: Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>
To: Yong Zhang <yzhang(at)trinityusa(dot)com>
Cc: Sandeep Thakkar <sandeep(dot)thakkar(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Pg Bugs <pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: BUG #9531: Failed to install
Date: 2014-03-13 14:38:59
Lists: pgsql-bugs

On Thu, Mar 13, 2014 at 2:28 PM, Yong Zhang <yzhang(at)trinityusa(dot)com> wrote:
> You're correct. The installer script doesn't try to change ownership directly. But it does it in an indirect way via initdb.exe. Here is what I got when I ran initdb.exe in the command window:
>

> "C:\Program Files (x86)\PostgreSQL\9.1\bin\initdb.exe" --pwfile="password.txt" --locale="English_United States" --encoding=UTF-8 -A trust -U postgres -D "C:\Program Files (x86)\PostgreSQL\9.1\data"
> The files belonging to this database system will be owned by user "yzhang".
> This user must also own the server process.
>
> The database cluster will be initialized with locale English_United States.
> The default text search configuration will be set to "english".
>
> fixing permissions on existing directory C:/Program Files (x86)/PostgreSQL/9.1/data ... initdb: could not change permissions of directory "C:/Program Files (x86)/PostgreSQL/9.1/data": Permission denied
>
> This is the exact error in the log file I got when I ran the installer. I don't understand why it tried to change the ownership of data folder to me. All it needs is the permissions!

If you check the initdb source code, you'll see it just calls chmod,
not chown or any of it's related functions as far as I can see. That's
also implied by the message you quote above: could not change
*permissions* of directory.

I don't see anything in initdb OR the installer that can change
directory ownership on Windows.

--
Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com