Fixing Google Search on the docs (redux)

From: Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>
To: PostgreSQL WWW <pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Fixing Google Search on the docs (redux)
Date: 2020-11-18 16:20:05
Lists: pgsql-www

I was looking at our analytic data, and saw that the vast majority of
inbound traffic to the docs, hits the 9.1 version. We've known this has
been an issue for years and have tried various remedies, clearly none of
which are working.

Should we try an experiment for a couple of months, in which we simply
block anything that matches \/docs\/((\d+)|(\d.\d))\/ in robots.txt? It's a
much more drastic option, but at least it might force Google into indexing
the latest doc version with the highest priority.

--
Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com

EDB: http://www.enterprisedb.com