Re: [pgAdmin4][RM#3155] Allow user to lock the Layout

From: Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>
To: Murtuza Zabuawala <murtuza(dot)zabuawala(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: Joao De Almeida Pereira <jdealmeidapereira(at)pivotal(dot)io>, pgadmin-hackers <pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [pgAdmin4][RM#3155] Allow user to lock the Layout
Date: 2018-04-03 15:33:39
Lists: pgadmin-hackers

Hi

On Tue, Apr 3, 2018 at 12:56 PM, Murtuza Zabuawala <
murtuza(dot)zabuawala(at)enterprisedb(dot)com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Thanks Joao for reviewing.
>
> PFA updated patch.
>
> On Tue, Apr 3, 2018 at 1:11 AM, Joao De Almeida Pereira <
> jdealmeidapereira(at)pivotal(dot)io> wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> On Mon, Apr 2, 2018 at 10:07 AM Murtuza Zabuawala <
>> murtuza(dot)zabuawala(at)enterprisedb(dot)com> wrote:
>>

>>> ​Hello,
>>>
>>> Please find updated patch,
>>>
>>> Now layout will be locked after user updates its preferences, w
>>> e have used ​
>>> templated variable in the javascript file
>>> ​ because we do not have preference module or preference cache available
>>> when the page loads and panels gets rendered,
>>> ​I
>>> ​ also
>>> made changes in JS tests as per Joao's review comments.
>>>
>> Looks like everything is working when we change the lock.
>> As a personal preferences I would prefer to see this in at least 2
>> commits, one that is related to the preference issue and another one that
>> is related to this story.
>>

>> All the tests are working, but he linter is failing:
>>
>> /tmp/build/4a5630c2/pivotal-rm-3155/web /tmp/build/4a5630c2
>> <https://gpdb-dev.bosh.pivotalci.info/teams/main/pipelines/pgadmin-feature-branches/jobs/pivotal-rm-3155-python-linter/builds/3#L5ab982d1:9>
>> ./pgadmin/misc/__init__.py:78: [E303] too many blank lines (2)
>> <https://gpdb-dev.bosh.pivotalci.info/teams/main/pipelines/pgadmin-feature-branches/jobs/pivotal-rm-3155-python-linter/builds/3#L5ab982d1:10>
>> 1 E303 too many blank lines (2)
>> <https://gpdb-dev.bosh.pivotalci.info/teams/main/pipelines/pgadmin-feature-branches/jobs/pivotal-rm-3155-python-linter/builds/3#L5ab982d1:11>
>>
>> 1
>>
> ​Fixed​
>

>>> @Dave/Pivotal team,
>>> The given patch is working fine for all the Tabs/Panels (all the panels
>>> from main window as well as from Query tool and Debugger) but I'm facing an
>>> issue while handling the Browser tree section, It is a wcDocer frame
>>> <http://docker.api.webcabin.org/module-wcFrame.html> and not a wcDocker
>>> panel <http://docker.api.webcabin.org/module-wcPanel.html>. Like
>>> wcDocker panel, wcDocker frame do not provide any API so that a developer
>>> can prevent drag-drop functionality on it.

It's not working fine for me. For example, if I put the SQL Panel on it's
own below the properties/stats panels (so it looks like pgAdmin 3 used to
by default), and then lock the layout, I can un-dock the SQL panel into a
dialogue, but then cannot re-dock it. I can do weird things with the
browser tree as well, probably because it's a frame as you say.

>>> By visiting wcDocker github page <https://github.com/WebCabin/wcDocker> It
>>> looks like it not actively maintained.
>>> What do you suggest how should we tackle this issue?

It may not have been updated recently, but the lead developer answered your
questions pretty quickly. Maybe he'll be open to a pull request if we can
figure out how to lock the layout of the frame as well.