Re: [GENERAL] One-click installer, Windows 7 32-bit, and icacls.exe

From: Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>
To: Craig Ringer <ringerc(at)ringerc(dot)id(dot)au>
Cc: Thomas Kellerer <spam_eater(at)gmx(dot)net>, "pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org>, "pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [GENERAL] One-click installer, Windows 7 32-bit, and icacls.exe
Date: 2011-10-05 00:22:27
Lists: pgsql-bugs pgsql-general

On Wednesday, October 5, 2011, Craig Ringer <ringerc(at)ringerc(dot)id(dot)au> wrote:
> On 10/05/2011 03:46 AM, Dave Page wrote:
>>
>> Oh, the joys of supporting Windows :-)
>
> It's funny: for an OS with so relatively few "flavours" and versions, the
number of quirks and bizarre behaviors is quite remarkable. I guess the text
matrix isn't small, though:

> Windows
> XP / Vista / 7 / [8]

You forgot 2003, 2003R2, 2008 and 2008R2

> 32-bit / 64-bit
> Basic / Home / Pro or Business / Enterprise / Ultimate / Embedded

Standard, Enterprise and Datacenter for the server editions.

> On a domain / standalone
> Local admin account / non-admin account / UAC admin account

Domain admin.

> [too many different antivirus products to list]
> Service packs
> *endless* possible group policy configurations
>
> ... so it's not too surprising to see hard-to-reproduce weirdness popping
up.

That last one is one of the worst - I've seen all sorts of weird policies
from government users and large companies - they can take a *lot* of
figuring out. That's why we have 4 developers who work on the installers
(not all the time of course, but often in busy "bursts" for a few days or
more, and often in parallel, like today with 3 guys working on this issue),
along with 2 QA guys when we're building releases. It's easy to think
building and maintaining installers is easy - unfortunately, that can be
very far from the case for a product like Postgres.

--
Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com

The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company