Re: Compilation on Debian SID

From: Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>
To: Olly Betts <olly(at)survex(dot)com>
Cc: pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Compilation on Debian SID
Date: 2011-11-28 09:56:37
Lists: pgadmin-hackers

On Sat, Nov 26, 2011 at 11:05 PM, Olly Betts <olly(at)survex(dot)com> wrote:

>> Hmm, thanks for the info. I really thought the Debian guys had stopped
>> unilaterally breaking wxWidgets like that (downstream patching used to
>> cause other problems with Debian in years gone by). Reminds me of why
>> I prefer Redhat.
>
> It's hardly unilateral - wxWidgets 2.9 has made exactly the same change.
> So if you view it as "breaking wxWidgets", then it's only backporting
> breakage from the next wx release series...

wxWidgets 2.9 is the development code for 3.0. The wx guys have
changed a *lot* of the API there, and intentionally did it in the
2.9/master branch only to avoid breaking the stable 2.8 branch for
existing apps - which is exactly what Debian has now done.

Every wxWidgets developer is expecting to do work to support 2.9/3.0
in their apps - we've already made a lot of changes for example. They
don't expect the downstream distros to cherry-pick changes and
backport them into the stable versions however - if every distro did
that, it would make it nigh-on impossible to support them.

--
Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com

The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company