Re: pgsql: Typo fix.

From: Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>
To: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Robert Haas <rhaas(at)postgresql(dot)org>, pgsql-committers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: pgsql: Typo fix.
Date: 2012-01-13 14:08:27
Lists: pgsql-committers

On Fri, Jan 13, 2012 at 2:03 PM, Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com> wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 13, 2012 at 1:39 PM, Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org> wrote:

>>> Hmm, how strange. I fixed that bug immediately before commit, so must
>>> have skipped a step while committing.
>>
>> If you modify a file after git-adding it, you have to re-add it before
>> committing. Possible cause?
>
> No, dumber than that.
>
> I compiled a new version, just skipped the bit where I updated the new
> patch version, so the old one just got applied.
>
> I keep separate dev and write repositories and use patches to move
> between them. Which gives me less chance of committing dev code
> accidentally (like I just did). Is there a better way?

I suspect the git purists will suggest using a private branch to
develop in and then merging (and squashing) that into the master
branch to be pushed. I do that for some projects, and a similar
workflow to yours for others. Git gives you 20 ways to do anything
though, so I'm sure there are other options.

--
Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com

The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company