Re: EDB builds Postgres 13 with an obsolete ICU version

From: Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>
To: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
Cc: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>, Daniel Verite <daniel(at)manitou-mail(dot)org>, PostgreSQL Developers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>, Sandeep Thakkar <sandeep(dot)thakkar(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Subject: Re: EDB builds Postgres 13 with an obsolete ICU version
Date: 2020-08-18 09:24:42
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Mon, Aug 17, 2020 at 7:23 PM Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us> wrote:

> On Mon, Aug 17, 2020 at 04:55:13PM +0100, Dave Page wrote:
> > That was more if the installer actually handles the whole chain. It
> clearly
> > doesn't today (since it doesn't support upgrades), I agree this might
> > definitely be overkill. But then also I don't really see the problem
> with
> > just putting a new version of ICU in with the newer versions of
> PostgreSQL.
> > That's just puts the user in the same position as they are with any
> other
> > platform wrt manual pg_upgrade runs.
> >
> > Well we can certainly do that if everyone is happy in the knowledge that
> it'll
> > mean pg_upgrade users will need to reindex if they've used ICU
> collations.
> >
> > Sandeep; can you have someone do a test build with the latest ICU please
> (for
> > background, this would be with the Windows and Mac installers)? If noone
> > objects, we can push that into the v13 builds before GA. We'd also need
> > update the README if we do so.
>
> Woh, we don't have any support in pg_upgrade to reindex just indexes
> that use ICU collations, and frankly, if they have to reindex, they
> might decide that they should just do pg_dump/reload of their cluster at
> that point because pg_upgrade is going to be very slow, and they will be
> surprised.

Not necessarily. It's likely that not all indexes use ICU collations, and
you still save time loading what may be large amounts of data.

I agree though, that it *could* be slow.

> I can see a lot more people being disappointed by this than
> will be happy to have Postgres using a newer ICU library.

Quite possibly, hence my hesitation to push ahead with anything more than a
simple test build at this time.

> Also, is it the ICU library version we should be tracking for reindex,
> or each _collation_ version? If the later, do we store the collation
> version for each index?

I wasn't aware that ICU had the concept of collation versions internally
(which Michael seems to have confirmed downthread). That would potentially
make the number of users needing a reindex even smaller, but as you point
out won't help us for years as we don't store it anyway.

--
Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com

EDB: http://www.enterprisedb.com