Re: Minimising windows installer password confusion

From: Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Craig Ringer <craig(at)postnewspapers(dot)com(dot)au>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Sachin Srivastava <sachin(dot)srivastava(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Ashesh Vashi <ashesh(dot)vashi(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Dharmendra Goyal <dharmendra(dot)goyal(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Minimising windows installer password confusion
Date: 2012-06-14 16:54:04
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, Jun 14, 2012 at 5:38 PM, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 14, 2012 at 11:59 AM, Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org> wrote:
>> On Thu, Jun 14, 2012 at 11:43 AM, Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org> wrote:
>>>
>>> I'll have a play with it and see if a simple switch to NetworkService
>>> seems feasible.
>>
>> OK, I worked up a patch which uses "NT AUTHORITY\NetworkService" as
>> the service account by default. This doesn't need a password, so
>> allows us to simply prompt during installation for the superuser
>> password for the cluster, and not at all during upgrade. If you run
>> the installer from the command line with "--serviceaccount postgres"
>> (or some other account name), you get the current behaviour.
>>
>> I've posted it on our internal ReviewBoard system for the rest of the
>> team to review and test on various platforms (I've only tried it on XP
>> so far). Now would be a very good time for people to yelp if they
>> think this is a bad idea (the only downside I can see if accessing
>> files for server-side copy etc, but users that want to do that can
>> install with a non-default account). If we go ahead, we'll include it
>> in 9.2.
>
> What happens if they try to use this to upgrade from the EDB 9.1 installers?

The installers don't support major version upgrades - it'll install
alongside 9.1.

If someone has an existing beta installation of 9.2, it'll use the
service account that was installed with, just as past minor-version
upgrades would (including asking for the password).

--
Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com

The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company