Re: Kerberos support broken on MSVC builds for Windows x64?

From: Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>
To: Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>
Cc: PostgreSQL Developers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Kerberos support broken on MSVC builds for Windows x64?
Date: 2020-09-02 08:05:43
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi

On Tue, Sep 1, 2020 at 5:29 PM Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net> wrote:

> Greetings,
>
> * Dave Page (dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org) wrote:
> > Attached is a patch against 12.4 for the build system in case anyone
> wants
> > to play (I'll do it properly against the head branch later). I'm guessing
> > this will work for < 12, as with 12 I'm now getting the following which
> > looks like it's related to GSS encryption:
> >
> > "C:\Users\dpage\Downloads\postgresql-12.4\pgsql.sln" (default target)
> (1) ->
> > "C:\Users\dpage\Downloads\postgresql-12.4\pgcrypto.vcxproj" (default
> > target) (2) ->
> > "C:\Users\dpage\Downloads\postgresql-12.4\postgres.vcxproj" (default
> > target) (3) ->
> > (Link target) ->
> > be-secure-gssapi.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol setenv
> > referenced in function secure_open_gssapi
> > [C:\Users\dpage\Downloads\postgresql-12.4\postgres.vcxproj]
> > .\Release\postgres\postgres.exe : fatal error LNK1120: 1 unresolved
> > externals [C:\Users\dpage\Downloads\postgresql-12.4\postgres.vcxproj]
> >
> > I'll dig into that some more.
>
> Yes, that'd be in the GSSENC code, which I hadn't been expecting to be
> used under Windows. If you're successful, I don't have any issue
> helping to make that work, though I'm curious if you're trying to build
> with MIT KfW (which is rather ancient these days, being based on krb5
> 1.13 and not updated since..) or with a more current release...?

I'm currently using the KFW 4.1 build from MIT. I've tried building it
myself but it requires a very old toolchain (which defeated the point of
what I was trying to do at the time).

I haven't yet looked to see if the source for krb5-1.8.2 will build or even
has the right bits in it for Windows - as I'm sure you know MIT seem to
maintain an entirely different version for Windows for which I assume
there's a reason.

> Of course, it'd be good to get a buildfarm animal in place that's
> actually testing this if we're going to make it work.

Fixing the config on hamerkop should deal with that I think. Though I am
confused as to why the Buildfarm UI thinks it has Kerberos support enabled
- did we change the config parameter from krb5 to gss some time prior to
9.5? If so, that could explain it.

> Regarding the setenv() call, should be able to use pgwin32_putenv() in
> place on Windows, I'd think..?

Right, I imagine so. It's on my todo...

--
Dave Page