Re: One click installer a bit bare?

From: Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>
To: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, pgsql-www <pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: One click installer a bit bare?
Date: 2011-10-05 13:58:21
Lists: pgadmin-hackers pgsql-advocacy pgsql-www

On Wed, Oct 5, 2011 at 1:33 PM, Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com> wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 5, 2011 at 11:48 AM, Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org> wrote:
>> On Tue, Oct 4, 2011 at 10:47 PM, Joshua D. Drake <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com> wrote:
>>>
>>> It may be minimal, but the last page of the installer could have a button to
>>> take them to support page of .Org?
>>
>> Can't do a button, but the new version of BitRock we've just upgraded
>> to (yesterday!) does support hyperlinked labels, so I've asked one of
>> the guys to add a "Visit the PostgreSQL Website" link to the final
>> page. That seems better than the support page to me, as they can then
>> jump straight to support or whatever else they need.
>
> The installer used to ask if people would like to subscribe to announce list.
>
> That seems a good thing to help us keep in touch with people.

We can do that certainly - but I don't want to do both, otherwise
we'll end up with too much text on there that people will just ignore
(we know from experience this happens with installation wizards).
There is already additional text on the page that needs to stay (the
"It's complete" text and "Leave this checked to run StackBuilder and
download Slony/PostGIS/psqlODBC/Whatever" checkbox).

So, which link is preferred?

--
Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com