Re: BUG #6652: Installer grants postgres user rights for the whole disk, not specified subfolder

From: Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>
To: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Cc: grv87 <grv87(at)yandex(dot)ru>, Pg Bugs <pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: BUG #6652: Installer grants postgres user rights for the whole disk, not specified subfolder
Date: 2012-06-05 18:38:54
Lists: pgsql-bugs

On Sun, May 20, 2012 at 7:05 PM, Alvaro Herrera

> Excerpts from grv87's message of sáb may 19 10:28:47 -0400 2012:
>> The following bug has been logged on the website:
>>
>> Bug reference:      6652
>> Logged by:          Basil Peace
>> Email address:      grv87(at)yandex(dot)ru
>> PostgreSQL version: 9.1.3
>> Operating system:   Windows 7 x64
>>
>> I have been installing PostgreSQL 9.1.3.2, and I've noted that 'creating
>> database cluster' is too long. I have been waiting for a half of hour, and
>> it hasn't finished.
>> I've noted that installer calls icacls.exe with arguments:
>> D:\ /grant "postgres":RX
>
> This seems to be reported every once in a while.  It looks like the
> one-clunk installer is to blame.  Maybe it's been fixed in some more
> recent version -- Dave Page would probably know.

Just as an FYI, we are working on this. We've been able to reproduce
it, and it appears that icacls (a Microsoft utility) will sometimes
look at the ACL of every file/directory recursively when it grants the
required privileges on higher level directories. The good news is that
in none of the test we've done has it ever modified the ACL on the
wrong thing - it just takes a long time if there are a lot of items on
the filesystem. We've looked at third party alternatives to icacls,
and they seem to exhibit similar traits. We're also going to look into
other ways around the root problem.

--
Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com