Re: Re: [pgadmin-hackers] PGADMIN3 request for preferences-related behavior change

From: Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>
To: Guillaume Lelarge <guillaume(at)lelarge(dot)info>
Cc: John Genoese <john(at)memoriesdreamsandreflections(dot)org>, PgAdmin Support <pgadmin-support(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Re: [pgadmin-hackers] PGADMIN3 request for preferences-related behavior change
Date: 2012-03-25 10:12:32
Lists: pgadmin-hackers pgadmin-support

On Sun, Mar 25, 2012 at 9:06 AM, Guillaume Lelarge
<guillaume(at)lelarge(dot)info>wrote:

> On Sat, 2012-03-24 at 12:05 -0400, John Genoese wrote:
> > We think alike, my friend. The only thing is that I need two scripts:
> > one to copy and start the app, and a second one after the app closes
> > to copy back any config updates.
> >

> > As you most likely already know, on the Mac there is one other glitch
> > that prevents me from using one script ( I tried that very thing ). It
> > seems that the "applet" executable is not driven synchronously. In the
> > ideal sense, a shell script in Mac OS X should be able to invoke
> > an .app either synchronously ( using Contents/MacOS/applet directly ),
> > or asynchronously, using the open command.
> >

> > It seems that in either case, the pgadmin executable is asynchronous.
> > So I can't wrap a script around it to do that automatically.

Just run the executable in the "real" app bundle -
eg. /Library/PostgreSQL/9.1/pgAdmin3.app/Contents/MacOS/pgAdmin3

> > Bottom line: postgresql and pgadmin3 are fantastic products. If I have
> > to live with this, I'll do it and smile. It's a small enough thing to
> > change a couple of config entries, really.
> >

> > It's just something you folks might want to think about.
> >

> I added a ticket (http://code.pgadmin.org/trac/ticket/357), so that we
> can work on that later.

That doesn't seem like a workable solution, particularly on Windows.

--
Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com

The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company